Sunday, July 26, 2009

Beach vacation




We went up to Assateague Island, which up a little past the Chesapeake Bay area to go camping for a couple of days. It was a lot of fun, minus the lack of shade. We were camping right on the beach and couldn't get the canopy up, so it was a little hot. Afton was terrified of the sand the first day. She refused to step in it or touch it. Anytime I tried, she would just pick up her feet. I tried running sand over her legs, and she would just cry. We were eating dinner, and she dropped her sippy cup in the sand and started bawling. It was pretty funny. Thankfully, she got used to it the next day and had fun on the beach. She didn't like the water at all. The only way we could get her in was to hold her and then she liked it when the waves splashed her. I was totall shocked because Afton usually loves the water and isn't scared of anything. I think she really enjoyed running up and down the beach, chasing her ball. She enjoyed the sea shells as well. The park also had a nice playground that Afton really enjoyed. She is in love with slides.


For dinner the next night, we were grilling a couple of steaks and a seagull came and grabbed the steak right of the grill. Who does that? So we went and grabbed a couple of burgers from a nearby restaurant.

Joe stubbed his toe on the picnic table and it turned a nasty purple and had swollen a pretty good size.


My feet and shins got horribly sunburned. I don't think I will be using the spray sun block again. I couldn't walk for like 2 days afterwards; Joe even had to take a couple more days off work to take care of Afton since I was a gimp. I did manage to read all 7 Harry Potter books from Wednesday night through Saturday morning so I guess not all was lost. :) Overall, the beach was a fun little vacay and is definitely worth a return trip.

For some reason, we didn't get a lot of good pics in. Oh well, maybe next time!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

It looks like Afton's hair really is growing!

delilas said...

Are you joking me that you read all 7 books of Harry Potter in 4 days? I couldn't even turn each page individually of all 7 books in 4 days. Oh you mean you read the 7th Harry Potter book in 4 days, gotcha. lol