Friday, October 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Pie Plan:

For the uninitiated, I believe there is a perfect ratio of people to pies for Thanksgiving. It's the point where there's enough pie for Thanksgiving, seconds that night, and leftovers Friday after, but no more. This is the "Perfect Pie Ratio", or PPR, for short.

That ratio is 1 person per pie.

Some (including my wife) believe this is excessive, and wildly out of touch, but she's not familiar with the Scoresby habit of eating pie whenever possible through the next days. It's important to get enough, because if you run out on Thursday, it's terrible. You'll have to make more sweets just the day after Thanksgiving, and really, who's going to cook the day after? If you have too much, though, it lasts until after everyone has gone home, and the pies just go bad because you can't finish them in time, and that's just a waste. Thus, a PPR of 1:1.

I have calculated the PPR for this Thanksgiving for my parents house and the number of attendees, so we will need 13 pies. Yes, 13. Yes, I know, there will be 14 people there, but I don't think Lauren is going to be having any pie, unless we can manage to make Milk (or formula) Pie. If we do, I don't want any.

I have also thoughtfully provided a possible distribution of pies for the event:

3 apple pies
3 pumpkin pies
2 pineapple pies
1 cherry pie
2 pecan pies
1 chocolate creme pie
1 banana creme pie

I know Tracy has volunteered to make the pineapple pie, since she has a special recipe for it.
I would also be willing to make the pumpkin pies, and possibly a coconut creme pie to replace the cherry pie.

Blah. Who likes cherry pies, anyway?

13 comments:

Emily said...

Preston volunteers to make the cherry pie. And Lauren informs us that she does want her own.

Alanna said...

What, no plans for cheesecake?

Janet said...

I volunteer to help eat Lauren's pie. And pineapple pie? we don't need any of those.

Joe said...

Sorry, Janet, Tracy wants the pineapple ones.

Alanna, I can't tell if you're serious or making a cheesehead joke. I'm a traditionalist, and would just as soon have only apple and pumpkin pies.

Sarah said...

Sounds good to me. I'll make the pecan pies if mom buys the pecans. Otherwise I can't afford to make any pies.

Anna said...

LOL Joe, I just have to say "amen." Though I am not a traditionalist and will take cheesecake any chance I get. :)

Shannon said...

Ya know, I'm really a fan of the way your family does pies. :)

Emily said...

Joe, there is now going to be another member of the party. You must modify your pie distribution.

Joe said...

Well, since we do have 14 now, and considering that according to the episode of Good Eats I just watched, cheesecake is in fact, a custard pie, I guess we can add cheesecake to the mix.

The other option, then is coconut creme pie. I know Mom won't like it, but I certainly do, and I bet others do too.

Margaret said...

We can have coconut cream pie, but we have to balance it by having banana cream, too.

Margaret said...

PS. Janet doesn't like coconut cream, either.

Joe said...

Tracy likes banana creme, especially if it involves nilla wafers.

Janet said...

I think we should just keep it to the simple cherry, apple, pumpkin, peach, banana cream, and maybe throw in some chocolate. then we can just have multiples of each pie. we dont' want to overkill on pies or anything...