Thursday, April 17, 2008

Modern religion?

Yes, I know. Still no new pictures of Afton. Sorry, folks. Ask Tracy.

I was visiting my friend Peter Wood's blog with it's fun name: prwdot.org, read p-r-w dot dot org, and its associated blogs, Pulcher Sentio and waltondammerung.

Those of you from Ohio may recognize the authors of these blogs.
The rest of you can ignore who wrote them, and instead focus on what was written here. Besides my comment, (and I was serious, really, I wasn't trying to be a smart-aleck, Amy) it seems to me that I can boil the post down into two concepts: Churches are't focusing on God, but the people in the church, and a relationship with God isn't found by going to church, it's by doing the basics.

You know the basics. The basics are the stuff we were taught in junior Sunday School, regardless of the religion. Prayer, scripture study, faith, repentance, the Golden Rule, etc. These are the things that are open people's hearts to the Holy Ghost, so they can be touched, and without that the religious experience, isn't. The best explanation I can find for what people are feeling is a social experience.

And now I hear a "But wait! Isn't going to Church one of the basic principles?" Yes it is, but it's only one of the basic principles. Worshiping at Church is one of those things you were probably taught in Sunday School. (otherwise, it'd be kind of odd to be at Sunday School, huh?) That's good and all, but what if I only did one of the the other things? Suppose I just pray, or I just read the scriptures daily, or I just fast monthly. Alone, each action isn't enough to fulfill a person's spiritual needs. To truly bring our lives in tune with Christ, we need to be focused on him.

No comments: